Great Moments, 1998
- Boys Basketball: “Multi Miracles”:
Wahoo High School in 1989 was in the early segment of a state record winning streak that eventually in 1992 reached 114 games, The streakest biggest scare came in the finals of the 1989 boys state tournament when the Warriors won a state championship with two dramatic three-point goals in a Class B finals overtime victory. Down by 61-55 with 11 seconds left and no timeouts remaining, Bernie Inbody made a 30-footer , then made a steal and got the ball to Troy Glock whose last-second field goal did some dramatic bouncing from rim to backboard and back, sending the game with Lincoln Pius X into overtime. Inbody started the overtime with a three-pointer and Wahoo went on to win by 68-66.
- Girls Basketball: “Girls Basketball’s Biggest Shot”:
Girls Basketball had its greatest finals crowd at the 1996 Class B state tournament, had one of its finest finals games ever regardless of class and perhaps was headed for one of the sport’s greatest upsets, as Lincoln Pius X led favored South Sioux City into the final seconds. Alas, what the sport got was its most dramatic state tournament finish, via a last-second three-point goal by South Souix City’s Kim Sublet that won the championship game by one point, 67-66.
- Football: “End Zone Blitz”:
John Cook, Beatrice, for 98 points scored in 1912 in one high school football game. His team won by 128-0.
- Track & Field: “Awesome 800”:
State record run of 1:51.7 by Ryan Barrows, York, in the 800 Meters at 1997 State Track and Field Championship Meet, beating a 20-year-old record many believed would be good for another 20 years.
- Wrestling: “Pin Master”:
A career of record-setting wrestling wins by pin by David Miller of Kearney during 1995-98. His state records: Most pins season (36), career (120), state tournament (13), consecutive (41). He also holds the Class A record for most career victories (141).
- Boys Track: “Dash of the Century” Allan Wengert, Arapahoe, finalist in 1961 Hastings College Invitational 100-yard dash. Overshadowed by the big names Wengert finished 6th in an elite field.
- Girl’s Basketball: “Girl’s Basketball Biggest Shot” 1996 South Sioux City game winning Class B basketball finals three pointer.