Great Moments, 2001
- Boys Basketball: “In Focus”:
The 1976-77 newspaper photograph by Rudy Smith of the Omaha World-Herald, shot at the conclusion of the thrilling boys basketball tournament championship game between Holdrege and Aurora, captured the essence of high school sports: the joy of the winners, the anguish of defeat and the compassion of a dedicated coach.
- Boys Basketball: “Point Parade”:
1934 basketball game. With Avoca winning by 100-0 against Syracuse, a game which is believed to be the only Nebraska high school game mentioned in “Ripley’s Believe It or Not.”
- Football: “Action Packed Final 2 Seconds”:
In a 1960 high school football game, Broken Bow and Hall of Famer Kent McCloughan lead Valentine by 21-18 with two seconds go. Jim Murphy of Valentine intercepted a Broken Bow pass in the end zone and the clock ran out while he was running 102 yards for a game-winning touchdown. Final score: Valentine 24, Broken Bow 21.
- Track & Field: “Achievement of the Century”:
Gale Sayers’ 24-10 1/2 long jump in 1961 state track meet, coming on his last jump in a duel with Lincoln High’s Bobby Williams, continues to rank as one of this state’s best achievements in high school sports. Now 40 years later, it hasn’t been seriously challenged for the state record.
- Golf: “A Nebraska State Record for Consecutive State Championships” 1979-1989 Oakland-Craig wins eleven straight Class C State Golf championships coached by Swede Hawkins. A national record!